Thursday, May 22, 2008
Observation 6: 5/21/08
Observation 6: (5/21/08): Today it was raining lightly and the tempurature was about 34 degrees F. The soil was marshy with some areas on the verge of being a swamp. I found what I imagined to be a deer or elk leg and rib bone near the edge of the creek. This shows that the organism was probably killed by a predator. The river continues to rise and become stronger as the snow melts, and the clouds rain. Lichen is growing on almost all of the trees and is creating soil for itself and future plants. This is its niche. I noticed a choke cherry tree on the opposite side of the stream as well as the many willows, had started to bud. There were numerous mounds of dirt from what I suspected to be some type of mole homes or excavation. If so, it is a prime example of living things erosion. Snakegrass was also found near the banks of Cache Creek. Interspecific competition is widely shown near the stream with pine trees, willows and tall grasses. I believe the tall grasses and small trees are competiting for the larger trees' shade. Also that the large trees, willows, and tall grasses are competing for nutrients in the stream as well as a consistant water source.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Great ties to both competition and erosion! Continue to make these deeper connections to what you see, as sometimes when you don't it begins to feel like a list of what you saw, rather than a comprehensive look at the reasons behind certain occurences! Also, proof read for small typos!!!
Post a Comment